Masters of war, the Lion are the penultimate military might of the Empire. Fierce traditionalists, they are sworn as the Emperor's right hand, and train ceaselessly to face any threat that may come to threaten Rokugan. They have the sole, (perhaps dubious) honor of being the only Great Clan to have made war on each of the others. If numbers meant everything, they would be the mightiest of the Great Clans, with ten standing armies of sixty thousand strong each. Only the Crab begin approach this level of militarization.
The Lion largely shun magic as any sort of common tool for way. A shugenja's purpose is to commune with one's ancestors, or to provide the guidance of the kami.
- Clan Champion: Akodo Toturi
- Capital: Shiro Akodo
- Colors: Gold, Earth Tones
- Population: 5,600,000 (including 500,000 samurai)
- Imports: Raw materials, foodstuffs
- Exports: Copper
- Akodo Family
- Daimyo: Akodo Toturi
- Motto: "Duty. Honor. Leadership."
- Bonus: +1 Perception
- Schools: Akodo Bushi (3rd), Akodo War College (TFW P. 159)
- Advanced: Kensai (Sword Saint - TFW P. 8)
- Paths: Lion Warden (TFW P. 17), Akodo Scout (School Update 2)
- Ikoma Family
- Kitsu Family
- Daimyo: Kitsu Agunori
- Bonus: +1 Awareness
- Schools: Kitsu Shugenja (3rd), Kitsu Sodan-Senzo (School Update 2)
- Matsu Family
- Shimizu Family
- Daimyo: Unknown?
- Bonus: +1 Willpower
- Schools: ?
- Paths: ?
- Vassals: None
Relations with other Clans
- Crab Clan - The Lion and the Crab have a hearty respect for eachother's military prowess. The Lion, of course, find the Crab to be a bit rough around the edges, and could use some lessons in manners - but their might is sound.
- The Lion have only had minor skirmishes with the Crab, though one major war was narrowly averted.
- Crane Clan - Weak-willed ingrates who hide behind the Emperor's skirt. Though the Crane are amongst the least numerous of the Great Clans, they control by far the most territory, while the largest of them - the Lion - are forced to make do with the Empire's heartland.
- The Crane and Lion hardly see a decade without one military maneuver or another.
- Dragon Clan - Fools who claim to seek enlightenment by remaining apart from the world. The idea that experience teaches nothing is anathema.
- The Lion and Dragon have had many large conflicts, though they have not broken out into full-scale war.
- Mantis Clan - Ambitious, but brave and skilled to match. Thus, worthy of respect.
- Being landlocked, the Lion have had no quarrel with the Mantis.
- Phoenix Clan - Never trust those who speak of peace after the battle has been joined. Where the Dragon hide in their mountains, the Phoenix hide behind their magic, and commit no less a sin.
- The Lion have made several major wars upon the Phoenix. The borders of the Phoenix have nonetheless remain largely unchanged since the clan's founding.
- Scorpion Clan - Honorless, but needing of respect if only for their venom. Unlike the Crane, who could be handled with a duel or a war, one never knows if they are falling prey to some scheme with a Scorpion.
- The Lion and Scorpion have had numerous conflicts and wars, though these are largely confined in and near Beiden Pass.
- Unicorn Clan - Like the Crab, the military might and tactics of the Unicorn are worthy of respect. However, the Lion have had to significantly tighten their belts since the return, and the Unicorn still have a great deal to learn about the Empire.
- Numerous smaller conflicts, including one major war in which the Lion attempted to retake 'their' territory, which failed (obviously).
- Ronin - Fodder for enemy arrows. Little more.
The Lion have open scorn for most of the Minor Clans, thinking them little better than Ronin. The Falcon are an exception, and the Matsu have some respect for the Centipede. They would like nothing better than to destroy the Dragonfly, Tortoise, or Wasp.
Toturi is the Daimyo of the Lion, and, obviously, has not yet been dishonored.
Beiden Pass is still the primary land-based route through the Spine of the World mountains.
|Legend of the Five Rings • L5R Campaign • Pre-Coup Overview • Humor|
|Ancestor Rules • FAQ • Forums|